This is a great, quick meal. I used a bag of salad and angel hair cabbage. This was adapted from Recipetineats.com. I used a package of shredded chicken which added to the easy prep and the cubed frozen ginger which I LOVE. We liked this so much we made it again the next day using just napa cabbage and green leaf lettuce.
- 3 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil (toasted)
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh ginger, grated or very finely chopped (I used 1 frozen cube of the Crush ginger)
- 4 cups Chinese cabbage or regular cabbage, finely shredded (I used a package of regular cabbage-angle hair)
- 1 1/2 cups red cabbage , finely shredded
- 1 cup carrot, finely shredded
- 2 cups chicken, shredded
- 1 cup crunchy noodles
- 1 – 2 tsp sesame seeds (optional)
- Combine the Dressing ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside for 10 minutes or so for the flavours to meld.
- Place the Salad ingredients together in a large bowl along with half the crunchy noodles. Drizzle over dressing then toss.
- Divide between serving bowls. Top with more crunchy noodles and a good sprinkle of sesame seeds. Serve immediately!
1. Light soy sauce is lighter in colour and flavor than ordinary soy sauce. Ordinary soy sauce is fine to use too. Do not use dark or sweet soy sauce. Sesame oil – use toasted sesame oil.
2. Chinese Cabbage is my favourite in this because it’s softer than other green cabbages. If you use another green cabbage (or all red cabbage), toss salad with dressing WITHOUT noodles, leave for 10 minutes to let cabbage soften slightly. Then proceed with recipe.
3. You can buy crunchy fried noodles in the Asian section of supermarkets. They are cheap – just over $1 for a packet. You can use any crunchy fried noodles. I used Kroger brand.
4. Make ahead: Keep salad, dressing and garnishes separate until ready to serve. Chopped salad keeps for 5 days in an airtight container.
Dressing keeps for 2 to 3 days in fridge, if keeping longer, add ginger before serving. Cooked chicken keeps for 3 days in the fridge – can also be frozen.