If you are an Indian food purist stop right here – this is not your recipe… BUT if you like an easy crock pot meal with a little less oil/calories and a lot less fuss than the traditional recipe read on.
- 2 Tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
- 3 cans tomato puree (30 oz)
- 1 1/2 cups plain greek yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons Garam Masala (I like Penzey’s mix)
- 1/2 Teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 Teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoons grated stick cinnamon
- 2 sweet yellow onions, sliced thin
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil (for frying onion)
- 5 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2-3/4 Cup Whole Milk or coconut milk
- 1/2 Teaspoons cornstarch
- Brown or white Basmati Rice
- In a large mixing bowl combine first 10 ingredients until combined. Pour half of sauce mixture into the crockpot, add the chicken and then cover with the remaining sauce.
- Cook for 6-8 hours.
- In large saucepan heat olive oil and saute onions slowly until caramelized.
- In small mixing bowl whisk whole milk or Coconut milk with cornstarch. Pour into crockpot and stir. Allow mixture to cook 20 minutes.
- Add caramelized onions.
- Prepare rice according to directions.
- Serve Chicken Tikka Masalal over rice with Naan.
Penzey’s a wonderful spice shop where I used to buy spices every time I went to visit family in CT. I miss going there but you can order online.