This is a good soup for the cold nights we have been having here. This is my take on an African Peanut soup. the peanut butter is subtle and by pureeing the stock and vegetables it adds a rich and hearty taste. I might also add some fresh ginger and maybe some peanuts sprinkled on top. Or even add some coconut milk…
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 5 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 3/4 cup natural peanut butter
- Sriracha sauce to taste
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- In a large stock pot heat olive oil. Add onions and cook over low heat until caramelized.
- Add celery, red pepper and carrots and cook until soft.
- Add sweet potatoes and cook for a few minutes. Add chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Add chicken thighs and lower heat and cook until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove chicken and allow to cool. Shred with a fork and set aside.
- Using a blender or immersion blender puree broth and veggies until smooth. Add peanut butter and Sriracha sauce.
- Add chicken and tomatoes.
- Simmer until ready to serve.