We planted pear trees when we moved into our house and this year we got a nice crop. This is the perfect thing to mix into cakes instead of oil, or swirl it into oatmeal.. or just eat warm as dessert (maybe over frozen yogurt). It was not quite as thick as I had hoped for but if I adjusted to more fruit it might be thicker. Still tweaking but will make this recipe again.
- 6 apples, peeled and cored
- 6 pears, peeled and cored
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 apple juice
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon of cardamon
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Two cinnamon sticks
- Cut the fruit into large chunks. Process the apples and pears in a food processor, working in batches, until chopped. Transfer the fruit to the crockpot
- Sprinkle in the brown sugar, apple juice, molasses, spices and salt, and add the cinnamon sticks. Cover and cook 4 hours on high heat.
- Remove the lid and reserve the cinnamon sticks. Carefully return the fruit, in batches, to the food processor or use an immersion blender and process until smooth. Transfer the processed fruit back to the slow cooker along with the cinnamon sticks. Continue cooking on high until thick and spreadable, another 2 to 4 hours. Allow the mixture to cool before transferring to sealed airtight containers.
- Refrigerate up to 2 weeks or freeze up to 3 months
I adapted this from a recipe on the Cooking Channel