- 1 medium spaghetti squash (2 to 3 pounds)
- 2 cartons of Grape tomatoes (I always roast more than I need to use for later)
- Olive oil
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan Cheese
- course sea salt (I used french grey here)
- course ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons of butter – I used light butter
Instructions for Roasting Squash
- Preheat the oven to 375°F: Preheat the oven while you prep the squash.
- Slice the squash in half: Cut the spaghetti squash lengthwise from stem to tail. Spaghetti squash are really hard!
- Scoop out the seeds: Use a large spoon to scrape out the seeds and stringy bits of flesh from inside the squash. Discard the seeds (or save them for roasting as a snack or in soup).
- Place the squash in a roasting pan: Place the squash halves cut-side down in large pyrex dish 13 x 9.
- Pour in a little water : Pour a little water in the pan, enough to cover the bottom, about a 1/4 inch.
- Cook the squash: Transfer the squash to the oven and cook for 30 to 45 minutes. Smaller squash will cook more quickly than larger squash. Check the squash after 30 minutes to gauge cooking. I used a convection oven so my cooking time represents that.
- The squash is done when tender: The squash is ready when you can easily pierce a fork through the flesh all the way to the peel.
- Scrape out the squash: Use a fork to gently scrape the squash flesh from the peel and to separate the flesh into strands. Rake the flesh horizontally. they should look like spaghetti.
Instructions for roasting tomatoes
I love these sweet grape tomatoes (you can also use red and yellow cherry tomatoes roasted this way). They are great in a vegetable pasta sauce or in tacos. i made extra to serve with the leftover baked tilapia I made with this meal. I baked 2 Tilapia filets and saved one to use for another meal as fish tacos.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F: While the oven is preheating wash tomatoes and dry.
- Slice the tomatoes in half: Slice lengthwise and put on a non-stick baking tray or one lined with aluminum foil (for easy cleanup)
- Drizzle with Olive Oil: I use Trader Joe’s and i just liberally drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with the sea salt and pepper.
- Roast in oven: For about 20 minutes. I used about half a cup for this recipe and reserved the rest for another meal. Make sure you use the oil and tomato juices.
Instructions for Squash and Tomatoes
- In a large bowl: Place Spaghetti Squash into the bowl. Add the cheese, oregano, pepper, butter and roasted tomatoes. Mix gently to combine. Serve with Baked Tilapia or you can make this a main meal by adding other vegetables like mushrooms and Zucchini, etc.
This serves 2.
Instructions for baked Tilapia
- 2 tilapia Filets: Sprinkle with course sea salt, 4 color pepper, smoked paprika. Drizzle with Olive oil
- Pre-Heat Oven to 400: Bake Tilapia on non stick pan, 3-4 minute each side.The filet should be opaque.
We split the Tilapia and save one to use in tomorrows meal.