We always seem to have leftover Quinoa or rice in the fridge so I try to come with ways to use it. It is great in patties also. This recipe was adopted from a Quinoa and Greens Pie from the Vegetarian Times that someone posted. I like that version a lot but ended up making changes to one that we love. It is great by itself or a side dish. Depending on how much quinoa you have left over will determine how thick the pie ends up. You can also add different veggies, too. I have added zucchini, red peppers and asparagus.
- 2- 3 cups cooked quinoa (I like Trader Joe’s tricolor)
- 1 package white or baby bella mushrooms chopped
- 2 packages of Trader Joe’s Baby Spinach, Kale and Swiss chard Mix
(or just about any other greens will work). Remove stems.
- 1 sweet Onion, thinly sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup of shredded cheese (I like Fontina, but Parmesan, Cheddar
or a mixture works great – which is what I used for this recipe)
- Pour about 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil into pan, add onions to hot oil and cook, stirring often, until caramelized.
- Add chopped mushrooms, sir until cooked about 4 minutes.
- Add greens and sauté until wilted.
- Add cooked Quinoa, salt, pepper and stir until combined.
- Remove from heat, cool slightly and add the eggs and 3/4 cup of the cheese. Mix well.
- Pour mixture into a oiled pie pan. I used a deep dish for this recipe.
- Cook at 350 for 20 minutes. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and cook for an addotional 20 minutes until mixture is set and bubbly on top.