I adapted this from “Tastes better From Scratch” Blog. I have a huge paella pan and this worked perfectly on the gas grill. This recipe can have so many variations but I stuck with seafood and chicken but you can make this vegetarian, add chorizo, lobster, rabbit or pork. It is actually a very easy recipe. and takes about an hour. I used a paella rice (“bomba” rice, calaspara rice, arroz redonda) but you can use short grain or sushi rice if you cannot find.
- 1/4 cup Extra virgin olive Oil (Spanish EVOO if you have it)
- 1 Onion , diced
- 1 red bell pepper , diced
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 3 roma tomatoes , very finely diced
- Bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 pinch saffron threads
- Salt and pepper
- ¼ cup white wine
- 4 boneless , skinless chicken thighs , cut into pieces
- ¼ cup flat leaf Parsley chopped, divided
- 2 cups Spanish Rice
- 5 cups Chicken Broth
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- ½ lb Jumbo Shrimp or prawns , about 12 – peeled, tail on
- 1/2 lb Mussels (about 10-12), cleaned properly (beards off)
- 8 oz calamari rings
- Lemons , for garnish
- Add olive oil to a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, bell peppers and garlic and cook until onion is translucent. Add chopped tomato, bay leaf, paprika, saffron salt and pepper. Stir and cook for 5 minutes. Add white wine and cook for 10 minutes. Taste and add salt if needed.
- Add chicken pieces, 2 tablespoons chopped parsley and rice to the pot. Cook for 1 minute.
- Pour the broth slowly all around the pan and jiggle the pan to get the rice into an even layer. (Do not stir the mixture going forward!).
- Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low. Give the pan a gentle shake back and forth once or twice during cooking.
- Cook for about 15-18 minutes (uncovered), then nestle the shrimp, mussels and calamari into the mixture, sprinkle peas on top and continue to cook (without stirring) for about 5 more minutes. Watch for most of the liquid to be absorbed and the rice at the top nearly tender. (If for some reason your rice is still not cooked, add ¼ cup more water or broth and continue cooking).
- Remove pan from heat and cover pan with a lid or tinfoil. Place a kitchen towel over the lid and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and lemon slices. Serve