This is a super simple recipe. Comes together in a snap. I like Butter lettuce or Boston bibb but iceberg will work, too. I like the crunchy texture of iceberg but it is a little harder to wrap. I let the chicken freeze slightly and it is very easy to cut up into small cubes. This can also be made vegetarian by using tofu or meat alternative.
- 16 Boston Bibb, butter or iceberg lettuce leaves
- 4 chicken thighs, boneless,skinless and cut into small cubes
- 1 tablespoon peanut or olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh ginger (optional)
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 (8 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Asian sesame oil
Rinse whole lettuce leaves and pat dry, being careful not tear them. Set aside.
Stir hoisin sauce, garlic, soy sauce, vinegar and ginger into a small bowl and set aside.
In a frying pan or wok heat the oil and add onions. Cook about 10 minutes or until soft and getting caramelized. Add chicken cubes and cook over medium heat until brown. Add water chestnuts and stir. Add sauce and stir to mix.
Arrange lettuce leaves around the outer edge of a large serving platter and pile meat mixture in the center.