This is a wonderful, fairly guilt free soup with tons of flavor that gets the creamy taste by using an immersion blender or food processor. I have made this with and without the cheese and either way is great. This makes about 4 servings.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp unbleached or all purpose flour
- 1 medium head cauliflower – chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 shallot (optional)
- 1/2 to 1 cup white sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
- 4 cups fat free chicken broth (vegetarians can use vegetable broth)
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium saucepan, make a roux by melting the butter on low heat.
- Add the flour and stir about 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, onions and cauliflower and set heat to medium.
- Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer over medium-low heat until vegetables are tender (about 20 minutes.)
- Puree with an immersion blender until smooth. Add cheese if using. Season with salt and pepper.