We are not vegetarians but we TRY to eat healthy. Mostly. Except for desserts. Anyway… my husband wanted a sloppy joe but without the fat of the ground beef. Here it is. You can use any kind of fake meat but I really like Trader Joe’s “beefless” beef (Smart ground is also good) and they have great hamburger buns also. I served this with roasted corn and a salad. You could also make this with ground Turkey. I got lazy and took photos with my ipad, so not great but the recipe was very good.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced or thin slices
- 1 red bell pepper, diced or chunks
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (optional)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 package of “beefless” beef
- 1 small can of tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup barbeque sauce ( I used Weber original – no high fructose corn syrup)
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon dried mustard
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha (If you want spicy)
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat; cook the onion and bell pepper in the hot oil until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and stir until softened. Add the “beefless” ground beef to the skillet; cook and stir to crumble. Since there is no fat it does not really brown. Just mix everything well.
- Stir the pureed tomatoes, barbeque sauce, ketchup, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and hot sauce into the mixture. Simmer until completely heated, 7 to 10 minutes more.