This is a great vegetarian dish or side dish. My wonderful sister in law Brenda sent me this recipe which originally called for Farro & dried cherries. I had neither item in the pantry so I came up with my own completely different version. My husband said he would eat this every night. Which is good because we are having it as a side dish with chicken and Swiss Chard tonight.
- 2 Tsp olive oil
- 1 Sweet Onion, sliced thin
- 1 Tbs Pumpkin Balsamic Vinegar (you could substitute white wine)
- 1/4 Butternut Squash, grated (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 Cup Vegetable Broth
- 1/2 Cup golden raisins or cherries
- salt and pepper to taste
FOR THE QUINOA
- 1 Cup white Quinoa (I love Trader Joe’s)
- 2 Cups water
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and cook until golden and caramelized, about 15-20 minutes. They do not have to be caramelized I just happen to love onions done this way.
- Drizzle the onions with the balsamic vinegar and stir to mix.
- Add the grated butternut squash, dried fruit and vegetable broth.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and then simmer for about 15 minutes. It will be a bit soupy.
- In the meantime, cook the Quinoa according to the directions.
- Combine the cooke Quinoa into the butternut squash mixture and simmer until any broth is soaked up.
- Season with salt and pepper.