You can make these any shape you want. I don’t frost them, just use sanding sugar but these could be frosted. I have had this recipe a long time but it might be adapted form a Taste of home recipe.
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 4 cups All Purpose Unbleached Gold Medal flour, Sifted
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger or roasted ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Sanding sugar
In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
Add egg and molasses. Combine the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture.
On a lightly floured board, roll dough to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut with floured cookie cutter. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake at 350 for 8 minutes until firm. Sprinkle with sanding sugar while still warm. Put on wire racks to cool.