This is a great recipe I made up that re-heats and freezes well. We are not vegetarian but this is a great, quick vegetarian week night meal. I have served this to non-vegetarians and they love it!
- 1 chipotle chiles and teaspoon of adobo sauce (depending on how hot you want it.
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil – for pan
- 1 sliced onion
- 3 -4 cans Enchilada Sauce (La Victoria is good or -surprisingly-Kroger fire roasted enchilada sauce)
- 1 red pepper cut into slices (you can also use yellow, orange or green)
- 1 can mild diced chilies (I like Hatch when I can find them)
- 1 package Beef-less ground beef (Trader Joe’s)
- 1 Package tortillas (I like trader Joe’s Whole wheat low carb flour tortillas)
- 1 Avocado
- 1 package of low fat shredded cheese (I like to use a combo of cheeses)
- Pre-heat oven to 350.
- Remove 1 chile and 1 teaspoon adobo sauce from can; reserve remaining chiles and sauce for another use. Finely chop chile; set chile and sauce aside separately. (You can add more if you want more spice-take out seeds if you want less).
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add onion and red pepper and cook until soft.
- Add chipotle chile and green chiles.
- Add “beef” and stir in until heated through and browned.
- Add 1 can enchilada sauce.
- Add cheese (you can add as much or as little as you want – I use about 1 cup).
- Layer 1 can of enchilada sauce in a 13 x 19 pyrex dish.
- Fill tortillas and place seam side down on the sauce – I usually get about 6-7 depending on how full you make them.
- Pour 1-2 cans of enchilada sauce over tortillas.
- Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
Serve with rice, refried beans or just lettuce. Top with avocado.