Made this for company with brioche rolls and grilled vegetable orzo. Both recipes on this blog. I recommend using skirt steak instead of flank steak. Skirt steak is much fattier than flank steak, and more forgiving when you cook it! I adapted this from Simplyrecipies.com. I use metal skewers but if using bamboo or wooden skewers, place them in a dish and cover with water to soak. I had company so did not take many photos. This was also great cold the next day in a salad with blue cheese.
1 1/2 to 2 pounds skirt steak, trimmed of membranes and silver skin
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup honey
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1-inch piece of ginger, sliced
1/2 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Make marinade: Place all marinade ingredients in a small bowl and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Cut skirt steak in strips across the grain: Lay the skirt steak horizontally out on a cutting board. Notice the grain of the steak that goes up and down. Cut the steak into segments (along the grain of the meat), about 6 to 8-inches long.
- Then, with each segment, turn the segment so the grain of the meat runs in a line from left to right, and cut thin strips (1/4 to 1/3-inch thick, 1 1/2-inch wide, 6 to 8-inches long), angling the knife, cutting across the grain.
- Preheat grill, thread skewers:
- Preheat your grill, whether charcoal or gas, for high-direct heat. While the grill is preheating, thread the marinated skirt steak strips onto your skewers.
- Grill over high direct heat: When ready to grill, brush the grill grates with olive oil (helps to fold a paper towel, soak the towel in olive oil, and use long handled tongs to hold the soaked paper towel and spread oil on the grates).You know your grill is hot enough when you can only stand to hold your hand 1 inch above the grill grates for one second.Working in batches if necessary, lay the skirt steak skewers on the hot grill grates, perpendicular to the grates. Grill for 3 to 4 minutes per side, until cooked through.Remove from grill and let sit for a few minutes before serving.