This is a fast and easy weeknight soup. Filling, full of flavor. I used Trader Joe’s frozen Argentinian pink and their package frozen organic rice which really made it quick. The store was out of red curry paste so I grabbed a jar of red curry sauce and it worked great in a pinch. We warmed up the leftovers and the soup got thicker and was even better the next day. This was adapted from the blog DAMN DELICIOUS.
- 1 cup uncooked basmati rice
(or 2 packages of Trader Joe’s Organic Basmati rice, prepared using directions)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 2 tablespoon red curry paste or half a jar of red curry sauce
- 1 (12-ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk (full or lite)
- 3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- Juice of 1 lime
- In a large saucepan of 1 1 /2 cups water, cook rice according to package instructions; set aside.
- Melt butter in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add shrimp, salt and pepper, to taste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until pink, about 2-3 minutes; set aside.
- Add garlic, onion and bell pepper to the stockpot. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 3-4 minutes. Stir in ginger until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Whisk in curry paste or sauce until well combined, about 1 minute. Gradually whisk in coconut milk and chicken/vegetable stock, and cook, whisking constantly, until incorporated, about 1-2 minutes.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until slightly thickened, about 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in rice, shrimp and lime juice.
- Serve immediately.