The weather has been warm but it SMELLS like fall out there, that dusty leaf smell, pumpkins are everywhere (and in everything). So… time to start making soups and stews. This is velvety smooth and tastes decadent but it is low-fat, gluten-free, and and be made dairy-free and vegetarian!
- 3 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 sweet onion, sliced thin
- salt and pepper
- 6 cups cauliflower florets (1 medium-sized head cauliflower)
- 5 cups chicken stock (or gluten-free chicken broth or vegetable broth)
- 2 cups diced Yukon Gold potatoes (about 3 medium-sized potatoes)
- Squeeze fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees then line a baking sheet with foil and spray with nonstick spray. Add cauliflower florets then toss with 1 Tablespoon oil, salt, and pepper. Roast for 20-30 minutes or until lightly caramelized then set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 2 Tablespoons oil in a large soup pot over medium heat then add the sliced onions, season with salt and pepper, and then saute until lightly caramelized, 10 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and turn heat up to bring to a boil. Add potatoes, cover and reduce heat, and then simmer until potatoes are tender, 8-10 minutes. Add the cauliflower and simmer for about 10 minutes. Transfer the soup to a blender and then blend until very smooth. Pour back into the soup pot. Bring soup back up to a bubble. Stir in a little lemon juice (start with a little, you can always add more.) Taste then add salt and pepper, and then serve with a salad and some crusty bread.
This soup is delightful – easy and so yummy.
Had friends over and everyone wanted the recipe.
I am so glad you liked it. Comfort soup for sure!