- 4 Tablespoons olive oil
- 3 pound boneless chuck roast
- 2 sweet onions, sliced thin
- 1 bottle Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1 28 oz can diced, fire roasted tomatoes, with juice
- 1 can beef broth
- 1 pound pasta, homemade preferred
- Parmesan rinds
- Heat 2 Tb oil in large ovenproof pot (I used a La Creuset) over medium heat. Sprinkle beef with salt and pepper. Brown well so deep brown crust is on the exterior of meat. Remove meat and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add remaining 2 tablespoons of Olive Oil to pot and melt. Add onion and cook until soft, stirring frequently, about 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Return beef and any accumulated juices to pot. Add wine, tomatoes with juice, and beef broth. Cover and place in 400 degree oven. Check after 1-1/2 hours. You may need to add more liquid. You can use wine or broth.
- Add parmesan rinds.
- Braise beef until tender, about 3 hours total. Using 2 forks, shred beef. Return beef to pot. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Can keep warm in a crock pot at this point.
- Make pasta (or use store bought) and cook according to directions.
- Divide pasta among 6 shallow bowls, spoon meat sauce over, and serve with freshly grated parmesan.
Do ahead: Can be made 3 days ahead. Chill uncovered until cold, then cover and keep chilled. Rewarm before serving.