This is a mix of several recipes. Some call for adding hash browns. I went for straight up eggs, cheese and ham. This is perfect for company, comes together quickly and even is good warmed up the next day.
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 12 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese or gruyere
- 8 oz. diced ham, break up any clumps
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 13 by 9-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Add eggs to a large mixing bowl. Break yolks and stir together with a fork until blended.
- Stir in half and half, cheddar, Swiss, ham, green onions, parsley and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour mixture evenly over hash brown layer then spread out with a spatula to even out top as needed.
- Bake in preheated oven until center is just set, about 35 minutes. Check center with a knife and it is done when knife comes out clean. I use a convection oven so cooking times vary. Let cool about 5 minutes before slicing and serving.
Switch up the cheese. Smooth melting cheeses like Monterey jack, muenster, provolone, colby, and pepper jack work best.
Swap ham for cooked bacon or even diced Canadian bacon.
Add veggies like sautéed mushrooms, artichokes or bell peppers.
Make it vegetarian and swap with meatless sausage, like beyond beef.
Try it with cooked breakfast sausage or cooked Italian sausage instead of ham.
Use other herbs.
Serve it topped with sliced or diced avocado and/or tomatoes.